- Intermediate dance: Wednesdays, 6:45pm, resumes Jan 12
- Flamenco Rhythm & Song, 101: Saturday, 12pm, start Jan 15
- Beginner dance technique: Saturday, 1pm, starts Jan 15
Covid protocol: Attendance requires enhanced vaccine certificate, a well-fitted mask, and screening. We will be ventilating the space, sanitizing high-touch areas, and capping class sizes to maintain physical distancing. Stay tuned for more info! On a tight budget? We know what it’s like! Hence, we aim to make the arts accessible. If the prices in our shop are not accessible to you, please feel free to ask, via email, about modified rates.
Click any class below for more information.
Group classes: Wednesdays Jan 2022
Wednesdays online classes, 6:45-8:00pm:
This online class is ideal for the flamenco dancer who already has some experience and wants to pick up more material for bulerias. We will be learning short combinations to assorted letras and estribillos, then working on how we might mix and match steps and make different choreographic and improvisational choices along the way. A good class for anyone wanting to prepare for fin de fiesta opportunities and juergas.
- Jan 12th, 19th, and 26th.
- $55.50 for the three classes.
- Drop-in class: $22.50
Group classes: Saturdays Jan 2022
- Jan 15th, 22nd, and 29th.
- $51 for 3x one class.
- $93 for 3x both classes.
- $22.50 drop-in.
Saturdays, 12:00 – 12:50pm Flamenco Rhythm & Song, 101
In this class, we’ll be introducing you to the basic melodies of different bulerias letras (verses), and breaking down how you can clap the rhythm. This is a great class for dancers who are already learning bulerias steps and want further understanding of how the dancing works with the singing. It’s also ideal for singers who already have some experience but want clarity on different kinds of letras, as well as for guitarists, cajon-players, and instrumentalists who want to follow along, and for anyone interested in improving their clapping. Proficiency in Spanish is not necessary, as we will be focusing mainly on the melodic lines, but lyrics will be provided for those who wish to attempt singing the lyrics. If you are shy, worry not, you will not be asked to “take the mic” and can comfortably just do the class with your mic off.
Minimum 3 registrants required to run the class.
Saturdays, 1:00 – 1:50pm Absolute beginner dance technique
This class is intended for those with no previous flamenco dance experience. You will learn the basics of flamenco arm movements, hand movements, the different footwork strokes, proper alignment for achieving a flamenco ‘look,’ how to carry and move the torso, and short combinations to music to help put it all together. All classes start with a full-body warm-up. Wear something comfortable and keep in mind that you will be stomping, so make sure you have a place/floor where you can do so. If you don’t have flamenco shoes, a pair of shoes with a short and sturdy heel, thick sole, and support across the top of the foot (like cowboy or dessert boots) should suffice as you kick-start your flamenco journey!
Minimum 3 registrants needed to run the class
Private lessons (can be shared with a friend)
Lessons are currently held over Zoom. Please email us for availability and/or details.
- 1 hour – $55
- Half-Hour – $30
For when classes are in-person:
- The above pricing assumes that the student comes to us,to one of our locations in KW or Scarborough. For outbound classes, travel expenses and studio rental fee will also be added, where applicable. For outbound private lessons, the overall set-up of the space (flooring, spacing, acoustics, etc.) must be approved in advance by CalúJules.
- To try and make the arts accessible, we offer modified rates to those who could not afford classes otherwise, i.e., self-funded and independent post-secondary students; families with a modest income; fellow full-time arts workers; persons on disability or seniors with a low, fixed income. If you think you meet these criteria, feel free to reach out!